Stark-Condé wines – Handcrafted Cabernet Sauvignon, from high altitude organic vineyards.
Spectacular scenery and wine make Stark-Condé a pleasure to visit. Several factors encourage the production of premium grapes here. These factors include decomposed granitic soils at altitudes between 150 and 600 meters, where good afternoon sun and prevailing cooling winds allow grapes to ripen slower than other Stellenbosch vineyards.
A little about Stark-Condé Wines
The family history behind this wine estate may be short, if compared to other Stellenbosch families, but certainly is one of the most complex, with South African, Japanese and Cuban-immigrant American origins. This family definitely has wider global origins than most in the region. The name itself is a combination of the farm’s South African born patriarch Hans-Peter Schröder’s mother, Franziska Stark and his son-in-law Jose Condé’s father.
No one can argue that few other vineyards in South Africa are as picturesque as the Oude Nektar farm or the vines planted for the Stark-Condé Wines label have the ideal terroir to produce exceptional grapes. And so, surrounded by towering scenic mountains, high in granitic content and constant cooling breezes, growing Cabernet Sauvignon in this valley is ideal, which has resulted in distinguished wine awards since their first Cabernet Sauvignon release.
The organic farming methods practised in the vineyards are complemented by the fact that the farm has a massive 80% left as natural Fynbos – the natural rugged plants that grow in this region. The farm lays at the entrance to a valley that leads to the Jonkershoek Nature Reserve which was declared a Unesco World Heritage Site to protect its unique fynbos biome.
The family origins of the estate mirrored in the area around the restaurant and tasting room, as it is very family friendly. Children enjoy the setting of the tasting rooms as an island in a dam to run around, stocked with a large school of Koi and a host of resident waterfowl and an abundance of other aquatic organisms to keep them occupied. The nearby Postcard Café too has an idyllic view over the valley, mountains and dam, with a varied menu that serves café food in style, keeping the young and old, vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters happy!
Stark-Condé Wines at a glance
Wines of note
- Oude Nektar Cape Bordeaux blend
- Three Pines Cabernet Sauvignon
- Three Pines Syrah
- Stark-Condé Stellenbosch Syrah
- The Field Blend – White blend
- Round Mountain Sauvignon Blanc
- Petite Sirah (A unique varietal rarely planted in South Africa)
- Stark-Condé Stellenbosch Cabernet Sauvignon
Rüdger van Wyk since 2017
José Condé since 1998
Jonkershoek Cellars (Pty) Ltd
Reasons to visit
- Wine tasting of worldwide award-winning wines
- Elegant Cabernet Sauvignon and red blends
- Consistent production of award winning wines
- Child friendly large lawns
- The Postcard Café serves exceptional and varied dishes for most dietary needs
- Tasting room with a unique setting and scenic, breathtaking views
Best time to visit
This is an all-year destination that also boasts a delightful fireplace stoked during winter – see images above, although early morning and late afternoon, is the best for epic views, it is still enjoyable all-day
What to do at Stark-Condé Wines
Highlights on the estate
- Unique wine tasting room
- Wine tasting of world renowned wines
- Accommodation in the Three Pines Cottage on the property – Ideal for hikers and cyclists on a working farm in a two-bedroom self-catering cottage
Things to do or see
- Wine tasting
- Panoramic views from the tasting rooms and Postcard Café
The estate is ideal for families with children.
- Several outdoor activities are available in the area, such as hiking and cycling, as well as walking through the historic university town of Stellenbosch.
Stark-Condé Wines offers a great family experience
No annual public events
09:00 am to 4:00 pm Wine Tasting
09:00 am to 4:00 pm Postcard Café
Closed on Christian feast days and New Year’s day
Pre-booking is recommended: Bookings