Simonsig – Fine wines made in the Malan family tradition
The home of Kaapse Vonkel – Méthode Cap Classique – sparkling wine made in the traditional French bottle-fermented style. Home to the foresighted late Frans Malan and now the 3rd generation Malan family.
A little about Simonsig Wine Estate
In South Africa, few wine estates and winemakers have had such a profound influence, as Simonsig and Frans Malan on the wine industry. With the foresight of Frans Malan, this estate was a South African pioneer of the first commercially available Méthode Cap Classique – the classic French bottle fermented wine.
Frans Malan, from Simonsig is also known for his part in establishing the first wine route in South Africa. Together Simonsig, Spier and Delheim, comprised the first three estates on the Stellenbosch wine route.
Exceptional red wine includes Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and red blends.
Wines well worth tasting!
Simonsig Wine Estate at a glance
Wines of note
- (Cabernet Sauvignon) The Garland Range,
- (Merindol Syrah) Malan Family Selection,
- (Redhill Pinotage) Malan Family Selection,
- (Tiara Bordeaux Blend) Malan Family Selection
- (Chenin Avec Chene) Malan Family Selection
- (Cuvee Royale) Cap Classique Range
- (Kaapse Vonkel Brut) Cap Classique
- (Straw Wine) Dessert wine
Charl Schoeman – Effervescent wines – Cap Classique
Michael Malan Red wine
Malan Family Trust
Reasons to visit
- Wine tasting of excellent red wine and the famous Cap Classique effervescent wines – knowledgeable staff
- Exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinotage, Cap Classique and Dessert wine,
- Historical vineyard, of pioneering and award-winning wines
- Family-friendly hospitality
- Modern tasting cellar and alfresco tasting.
Best time to visit
This is an all-year destination, with a winter fireplace and alfresco (outside) summer tables.
What to do at Simonsig Wine Estate
Highlights of the estate
- Unique, historical Cap Classique wines
- Wine tasting of award-winning reds and Cap Classique
- Cellar Tours
- Views toward Table Mountain
Things to do or see
- Wine tasting
- Cellar Tours
- Several outdoor activities are available in the area, such as hiking and mountain biking, as well as walking through the historic university town of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.
Simonsig Wine Estate presents itself as an upmarket hospitable vineyard.
No regular festivals.
Contact Wine Estate
10:00 am to 6:00 pm Thursdays and Fridays
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Wednesday, Saturdays and Public Holidays
Closed on New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Christmas Day