Creation Wines: Characterful, vibrantly fresh Chardonnay and elegant Pinot Noir.
Home to Elegant Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Planted from 2002, award-winning wines are produced on the slopes of the towering Babilonstoring mountain.
About Creation Wines
Swiss-born Jean-Claude and South African-born Carolyn (née Finlayson) Martin stepped into their pioneering ancestor’s shoes and planted the first vines in 2002 on 40 hectares of rolling hills and the first harvest in 2006. This pioneering spirit has also led to Creation being the first vineyard in the valley to produce a Bordeaux style wine.
The 300m elevation above sea level on the slopes of the Babilonstoring mountain allows warm sun rays during the day to kiss the grapes, as cool ocean air is drawn up from the ocean and slows down the ripening. The unique clay-rich soils and elevation are ideal to produce elegant award-winning Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
Exceptional winemaking skills and an innovative spirit have led Creation to also produce Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc and award-winning Bordeaux red wines: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Grenache and red blends.
Newton Johnson wines at a glance
Wines of note
- Pinot Noir
- Chenin Blanc
- Red Blends
Jean-Claude Martin (Jan 2006), with Michael Malan (Jul 2014)
Jean-Claude Martin (Jan 2006)
Jean-Claude Martin & Peter Davison (consultant), advised by Johan Pienaar (all 2002)
Jean-Claude & Carolyn Martin, Jonathan Drake
Reasons to visit
- Wine tasting
- Elegant Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
- Magnificent views over mountains and vineyards
- Excellent restaurant, including Vegan menu
- Tasting room and restaurant
- Wine pairings with: Canape, Chocolate, even a Non-Alcoholic Tea pairing!
Best time to visit
All year destination – with a dreamy fireplace in winter. Early morning and later afternoon are best for epic views.
What to do at Creation Wines
Highlights on the estate
- Scenic tasting room – With an impressive alfresco setting at the entrance as well
- Scenic drive through the vineyards
- Unique tastings
- Farming close to nature (look out for the bat boxes and flourishing fynbos)
- Vegan options on the restaurant menu (Please enquire)
Things to do or see
- Wine tasting
- Panoramic views over the surrounding mountains
- Art exhibit
Creation has a unique experience that teaches kids to identify flavours using flavoured milk, juices, and a selection of healthy bites.
- Book your spot at Voormanshuis and wake up in the vineyards between heaven and earth in this sustainably built . Several hiking and mountain biking trails invite you outdoors.
Bring your camera along for the scenic views and Fynbos flowers
No annual public events
10:00 am to 17:00 Monday to Sunday – Wine Tasting
10:00 am to 17:00 Monday to Sunday – Creation Wine and Food Experience
More vineyards on the Hemel-En-Aarde wine route
© images Jacques Fouché